Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Published May 26, 2011
Jamie McGuire, LLC
ISBN: 2940012575814
English
4.19 of 5 stars |  325,533 ratings
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the story of a completely dysfunctional, co-dependent, unhealthy relationship, but I couldn't put it down. As someone who has been in a very similar relationship (though my Travis had less of a temper/could go longer than 5 minutes without beating the crap out of someone), the story hit a chord.

BIG TIME.



Abby & Travis meet at a 'fight club' type fighting match. It wasn't love at first sight, at least on her part, but something was going on between them. I found Travis charming at the beginning and a little hard to take toward the end. I didn't have as much of a problem with the ending as many do, but that's because I know people who have been in that situation (with what happens, not the co-dependence...though I guess I've known people in those situations, too) and they turned out just fine. Argh! I hate having to tiptoe around so I don't give out spoilers. I end up sound vague & bland. So not fun.

Abby's backstory annoyed me. It's stupid, but I guess she had to be flawed in some way. The timely arrival of dear ol' Mick seemed out of place but gave the author a way to show the obsessiveness & craziness of Abby & Travis's relationship.

I also thought Abby was wishy-washy in the beginning before they fell in 'love'. It made me want to tear my hair out. Parker was annoying, America was a screaming Harridan and a good friend (view spoiler), Finch cracked me up (he was one of my favorite characters), Travis was crazy, their relationship was, indeed, a disaster, and I enjoyed Travis's family. The writing was okay.

That said, I'll probably read it again.

UPDATE: And I have read it again. I was just as intrigued and just as annoyed with the parts mentioned above. My rating hasn't changed. Ms. McGuire did well by me. :)

View all my reviews - Tara



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...