Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Book Review: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris



Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Okay, I know I need to review this, but I'm not sure where to start. This review was difficult for me because I usually enjoy the author's books and because I wanted to like the book. I expected to enjoy it. If only everything lived up to expectations.

I'm giving Deadlocked a 2/5 only because it did get better toward the end. The last few chapters were the book's saving grace. Also, we (the readers) saw a softer, gentler side of Sookie than we have in previous books in the series. I enjoyed that.

I suppose I should say that I've been readying the Sookie Stackhouse books for a few years and many of them I've loved. However, when I picked up this one I realized that I couldn't even remember what had happened in the previous two or three books. Everything blended together in this huge mish-mash of jumbled ideas. I felt kind of lost when I first started reading Deadlocked, but I soon figured out everything that was going on, which was a lot of nothing, until the final few chapters.

Ms. Harris is an interesting writer. She has Sookie's voice down pat (a born & bred Southern gal can smell her own), but this book read like a first draft and the story line seemed to go nowhere. I made a ton of notes/comments on my ereader about how terrible the writing was (view spoiler)[A gazillion pages of the girls at a strip club and awful writing to boot. C'mon! (hide spoiler)].

I'm majorly disappointed.

It was obvious by the end of Deadlocked what the story line will be in the 13th and final novel of the series. I won't add any spoilers, but if you read it, you probably know what I'm talking about. Deadlocked's plot outcome was obvious, anyone could guess the bad guys from the beginning. I just...wow. I have nothing else to say about it.

I don't recommend this to fans and especially not to those new to the series. I suggest y'all just skip this one and call it a night. Read Ms. Harris's Harper Connelly series if you want a southern style paranormal series that's well written. I highly recommend that series.

View all my reviews















Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...