Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Review: Rogue's Pawn by Jeffe Kennedy



Rogue's Pawn by Jeffe Kennedy
Published July 16, 2012
Carina Press
ISBN: 1426894066
English
3.68 of 5 stars | 258 ratings  ·
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.75 out of 5 stars
I received this ARC through NetGalley and I'm so glad I requested it.

Jennifer lives a life of lies; lies to make her happy, to make her feel that everything is okay in her life. The problem?

The lies aren't working.

She's stuck in a relationship with a man she doesn't even like and she's plagued by dreams of a large, black dog. While at a party with the annoying fiancé she leaves after a disagreement and takes a drive, only to end up at the Devil's Tower (which confused me because I still have no idea what it was). She spends the night, decides to go for a walk the next morning (in heels and a cocktail dress, no less. Now, that's pure awesomeness!), and ends up in Fairie World.

That's when the fun starts. For Jennifer and the reader.

I have to say that Jennifer/Gwynn is one of my favorite heroines out of the books I've read lately. She's tough, intelligent, and, for the most part, highly logical. Those irritating women who seem to misplace logic as soon as they're faced with a hot guy get annoying. Jennifer was not one of those chicks and I loved it. Sure, I didn't agree with all of her decisions, but I understood why she did them. She was pretty badass.

The world was complex and well thought out. I loved that Fairie World was dark and somewhat sad. As an adult reader, I want the dark because not everything is bright and beautiful in life. That's how I picture my fairies. Gorgeous to look at and scary as hell up close. I was completely sucked into their world and didn't want to leave when the book ended. Only one series of books have had that effect on me, Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts, and that, in itself, was a revelation. I like/love certain books, but I'm not sad to leave the world when they end like I was here.

Write more, Jeffe!

It took awhile for me to get into the book, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. The reason I gave it 4.75 out of 5 stars is because in some places the writing was confusing. It was almost too much description, which I never thought I'd say. I'm aghast at my words! But, they're true. And, this is a small thing, but it bugged the crap out of me for some reason, (Spoilers removed from this page but can still be accessed on my goodreads review)

My other complaint is that I still don't know what was so special about Jennifer/Gwynn or why Rogue called her. Fill me in!

Honestly, this book was awesome. Intelligent and beautifully written. I will definitely read more of Ms. Kennedy's books and I highly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys non-cookie cutter type heroines, heroes, and worlds.

Go pre-order your copy of Rogue's Pawn now! Seriously.



 
View all my reviews - Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...